Fried Foods and Heart Disease
Does a Spanish study contradict decades of clinical caveats?
By Jacob Schor, ND, FABNO
About the Author
Jacob Schor ND, FABNO, is a graduate of National College of Naturopathic Medicine, Portland, Oregon, and now practices in Denver, Colorado. He served as president to the Colorado Association of Naturopathic Physicians and is on the board of directors of both the Oncology Association of Naturopathic Physicians and the American Association of Naturopathic Physicians. He is recognized as a fellow by the American Board of Naturopathic Oncology. He serves on the editorial board for the International Journal of Naturopathic Medicine, Naturopathic Doctor News and Review (NDNR), and Integrative Medicine: A Clinician's Journal. In 2008, he was awarded the Vis Award by the American Association of Naturopathic Physicians. His writing appears regularly in NDNR, the Townsend Letter, and Natural Medicine Journal, where he is the Abstracts & Commentary editor.
It comes as a surprise to this writer that, given how certain we all have been that fried food is unhealthy, that there are no definitive studies that fried food causes heart disease or impacts mortality.
- Guallar-Castillón P, Rodríguez-Artalejo F, Fornés NS, et al. Intake of fried foods is associated with obesity in the cohort of Spanish adults from the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition. Am J Clin Nutr. 2007;86(1):198-205.
- Wu J, Mo J, Huang CW, et al. Obesity and its influencing factors in primary school students from Kaifu District of Changsha City [article in Chinese]. Zhongguo Dang Dai Er Ke Za Zhi. 2008;10(2):231-235.
- Al-Rethaiaa AS, Fahmy AE, Al-Shwaiyat NM. Obesity and eating habits among college students in Saudi Arabia: a cross sectional study. Nutr J. 2010 Sep 19;9:39.
- Krachler B, Eliasson M, Stenlund H, Johansson I, Hallmans G, Lindahl B. Reported food intake and distribution of body fat: a repeated cross-sectional study. Nutr J. 2006 Dec 22;5:34.
- Ghosh A, Bose K, Das Chaudhuri AB. Association of food patterns, central obesity measures and metabolic risk factors for coronary heart disease (CHD) in middle aged Bengalee Hindu men, Calcutta, India. Asia Pac J Clin Nutr. 2003;12(2):166-171.
- Belin RJ, Greenland P, Martin L, et al. Fish intake and the risk of incident heart failure: The Women’s Health Initiative. Circ Heart Fail. 2011;4(4):404-413. Epub 2011 May 24.
- Kabagambe EK, Baylin A, Siles X, Campos H. Individual saturated fatty acids and nonfatal acute myocardial infarction in Costa Rica. Eur J Clin Nutr. 2003;57(11):1447-1457.
- Iqbal R, Anand S, Ounpuu S, et al. Dietary patterns and the risk of acute myocardial infarction in 52 countries: results of the INTERHEART study. Circulation. 2008;118(19):1929-1937.
- Covas MI, Fitó M, Marrugat J, et al. Coronary disease protective factors: antioxidant effect of olive oil [article in French]. Therapie. 2001;56(5):607-611.
- Esmaillzadeh A, Azadbakht L. Different kinds of vegetable oils in relation to individual cardiovascular risk factors among Iranian women. Br J Nutr. 2011;105(6):919-927.
- Gimeno E, de la Torre-Carbot K, Lamuela-Raventós RM, et al. Changes in the phenolic content of low density lipoprotein after olive oil consumption in men. A randomized crossover controlled trial. Br J Nutr. 2007;98(6):1243-1250.
- Weinbrenner T, Fitó M, de la Torre R, et al. Olive oils high in phenolic compounds modulate oxidative/antioxidative status in men. J Nutr. 2004;134(9):2314-2321.
- Fitó M, Cladellas M, de la Torre R, et al. Antioxidant effect of virgin olive oil in patients with stable coronary heart disease: a randomized, crossover, controlled, clinical trial. Atherosclerosis. 2005;181(1):149-158.
- Soriguer F, Rojo-Martínez G, Dobarganes MC, et al. Hypertension is related to the degradation of dietary frying oils. Am J Clin Nutr. 2003;78(6):1092-1097.
- Farnetti S, Malandrino N, Luciani D, Gasbarrini G, Capristo E. Food fried in extra-virgin olive oil improves postprandial insulin response in obese, insulin-resistant women. J Med Food. 2011;14(3):316-321.
- Ramírez MR, Estévez M, Morcuende D, Cava R. Effect of the type of frying culinary fat on volatile compounds isolated in fried pork loin chops by using SPME-GC-MS. J Agric Food Chem. 2004;52(25):7637-7643.
- Moreno DA, López-Berenguer C, García-Viguera C. Effects of stir-fry cooking with different edible oils on the phytochemical composition of broccoli. J Food Sci. 2007;72(1):S064-S068.
- Napolitano A, Morales F, Sacchi R, Fogliano V. Relationship between virgin olive oil phenolic compounds and acrylamide formation in fried crisps. J Agric Food Chem. 2008;56(6):2034-2040. Epub 2008 Feb 22.