Will Amla Become the Next Weapon Against Heart Disease?
Emblica officinalis shows significant impact on lipid profiles of long-time smokers
By Tina Kaczor, ND, FABNO
About the Author
Tina Kaczor, ND, FABNO, is editor in chief of Natural Medicine Journal and a naturopathic physician, board certified in naturopathic oncology. She received her naturopathic doctorate from National College of Natural Medicine, Portland, Oregon, and completed her residency in naturopathic oncology at Cancer Treatment Centers of America, Tulsa, Oklahoma. Kaczor received undergraduate degrees from the State University of New York at Buffalo. She is the past president and treasurer of the Oncology Association of Naturopathic Physicians and secretary of the American Board of Naturopathic Oncology. She has been published in several peer-reviewed journals. Kaczor is based in Eugene, Oregon.
Given there is no toxic risk to including amla fruit, the relevant question to ask is not “Why take it?” but “Why not?”
- Mahdihassan S. The tradition of alchemy in India. Am J Chin Med. 1981;9(1):23-33.
- Vayalil PK, Kuttan G, Kuttan R. Rasayanas: evidence for the concept of prevention of diseases. Am J Chin Med. 2002;30(1):155-171.
- Tasanarong A, Kongkham S, Itharat A. Antioxidant effect of Phyllanthus emblica extract prevents contrast-induced acute kidney injury. BMC Complement Alternat Med. 2014 Apr 22;14:138.
- Islam A, Auddy B, Mazumder UK, Gupta M, Ghosal S. Beneficial effect of Phyllanthus emblica fruit extract on cigarette smoke induced Impaired antioxidant status in rats. Pharmacologyonline. 2008:2:255-264.
- Sharief, Dawood. Role of Emblica officinalis (Amla) on nicotine toxicity to rats (Rattus orvegicus). Int J Pharmaceut Biol Arch. 2103;4(4):775-780.
- Bhandari PR, Kamdod MA. Emblica officinalis (amla): A review of potential therapeutic applications. Int J Green Pharm. 2012;6(4):257-269.
- Kumar KS, Bhowmik D, Dutta A, et al. Recent trends in potential traditional Indian herbs Emblica officinalis and its medicinal importance. J Pharmacognos Phytochem. 2012;1(1):18-28.
- Thomas MB. Perspectives on amla: a wonder herb. J Drug Discov Therapeut. 2013;1(09).
- Kaur J, Kaur D, Singh H, Khan MU. Emblica officinalis: A meritocratic drug for treating various disorders. Indo Am J Pharmaceut Res. 2013;3(6):4477-4496.
- Singh E, Sharma S, Pareek A, Dwivedi J, Yadav S, Sharma S. Phytochemistry, traditional uses and cancer chemopreventive activity of amla (Phyllanthus emblica): The sustainer. J Appl Pharmaceut Sci. 2012;2(1):176-183.