Most importantly, the body of evidence reviewed highly suggests that melatonin administration is very safe, even in the youngest children.
1. Owens JA, Rosen CL, Mindell JA. Medication use in the treatment of pediatric insomnia: results of a survey of community-based pediatricians. Pediatrics. 2003;111(5):e628-635.
2. Hoebert M, van der Heijden KB, van Geijlswijk IM, Smits MG. Long-term follow-up of melatonin treatment in children with ADHD and chronic sleep-onset insomnia. J Pineal Research. 2009;47(1):1-7.
3. Reiter R, Blask DE, Talbot JA, Barnett MP. Nature and the time course of seizures associated with surgical removal of the pineal gland from parathyroidectomized rats. Exp Neurol. 1973;38:386-397.
4. Fariello R, Bubenik GA, Brown GM, Grota LJ. Epileptogenic action of intraventricularly injected antimelatonin antibody. Neurology. 1997;27(6):267-270.
5. Illerova H, Buresová M, Presl J. Melatonin rhythm in human milk. J Clin Endoc Metab. 1993;77(3):838-841.