American Ginseng Improves Cancer-related Fatigue
Significant relief after 8 weeks of Panax quinquefolius
By Michael Traub, ND, DHANP, FABNO, and Landon Opunui, ND
About the Authors
Michael Traub ND, DHANP, FABNO, has been practicing in Hawaii since 1985. He is past-president of the American Association of Naturopathic Physicians (AANP) and received the AANP’s Naturopathic Physician of the Year award in 2006. He is the author of Essentials of Dermatological Diagnosis and Integrative Therapeutics. His website is www.michaeltraubnd.com.
Landon Opunui, ND, is a naturopathic physician in his first year of residency at Lokahi Health Center, Kailua-Kona, Hawaii. Opunui received his naturopathic doctorate from Bastyr University, Kenmore, Washington, and his undergraduate degree from Loyola Marymount University, Los Angeles, California. He currently serves as the treasurer of the Hawaii Society of Naturopathic Physicians. For more information, visit DrOpunui.com.
In the management of patients with cancer, fatigue is a common symptom requiring appropriate assessment and intervention to help relieve its impact on quality of life.
- Prue G, Rankin J, Allen J, Gracey J, Cramp F. Cancer-related fatigue: A critical appraisal. Eur J Cancer. 2006;42(7):846-863.
- Cancer-related fatigue. National Comprehensive Cancer Network. Available at: http://www.nccn.org/professionals/physician_gls/pdf/fatigue. Published January 2013. Accessed December 30, 2013.
- Cramp F, Byron-Daniel J. Exercise for the management of cancer-related fatigue in adults. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2012;11:CD006145.
- Minton O, Stone P, Richardson A, Sharpe M, Hotopf M. Drug therapy for the management of cancer-related fatigue. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2010;(7):CD006704.
- Minton O, Richardson A, Sharpe M, Hotopf M, Stone PC. Psychostimulants for the management of cancer-related fatigue: a systematic review and meta-analysis. J Pain Symptom Manage. 2011;41(4):761-767.
- Lü JM, Yao Q, Chen C. Ginseng compounds: an update on their molecular mechanisms and medical applications. Curr Vasc Pharmacol. 2009;7(3):293-302.
- Barton DL, Soori GS, Bauer BA, et al. Pilot study of Panax quinquefolius (American ginseng) to improve cancer-related fatigue: a randomized, double-blind, dose-finding evaluation: NCCTG trial N03CA. Support Care Cancer. 2010;18(2):179-187.
- Minton O, Berger A, Barsevick A, et al. Cancer-related fatigue and its impact on functioning. Cancer. 2013;119 Suppl 11:2124-2130.