Vitamin D Status and In-Vitro Fertilization Outcomes
Elucidating the Effects of Vitamin D on Fecundity
By Setareh Tais, ND
About the Author
Setareh Tais, ND, is a naturopathic doctor practicing general family medicine with a focus on integrative family medicine and reproductive health in Fresno, California. She received her doctorate of naturopathic medicine from Bastyr University, Kenmore, Washington, and completed a naturopathic family medicine residency program with additional training in reproductive endocrinology and infertility. She is the president of the California Naturopathic Doctors Association, a founding board member of the Endocrinology Association of Naturopathic Physicians, and a member of the American Association of Naturopathic Physicians. For more information about her practice, please visit www.fresnoholisticmedicine.com and for more information on naturopathic reproductive endocrinology, please visit www.endoanp.com.
Primary Outcome Measures
In this study, vitamin D deficiency was associated with a 50% reduction in pregnancy and live-birth rates in recipients of donor eggs compared to patients who had adequate vitamin D levels.
- Zemel MB. Role of calcium and dairy products in energy partitioning and weight management. Am J Clin Nutr. 2004;79(5):907-912.
- Young KA, Engelman CD, Langefeld CD, et al. Association of plasma vitamin D levels with adiposity in Hispanic and African Americans. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2009;94(9):3306-3313.
- Rotterdam ESHRE/ASRM-Sponsored PCOS Consensus Workshop Group. Revised 2003 consensus on diagnostic criteria and long-term health risks related to polycystic ovary syndrome. Fertil Steril. 2004;81(1):19-25.
- Hewison M. Vitamin D and immune function: an overview. Proc Nutr Soc. 2012;71(1):50–61.
- Ozkan S, Jindal S, Greenseid K, et al. Replete vitamin D stores predict reproductive success following in vitro fertilization. Fertil Steril. 2010;94(4):1314-1319.
- Rudick B, Ingles S, Chung K, Stanczyk F, Paulson R, Bendikson K. Characterizing the influence of vitamin D levels on IVF outcomes. Hum Reprod. 2012;27(11):3321-3327.
- Daftary GS, Taylor HS. Endocrine regulation of HOX genes. Endocr Rev. 2006;27(4):331-355.
- Vigano P, Lattuada D, Mangioni S, et al. Cycling and early pregnant endometrium as a site of regulated expression of the vitamin D system. J Mol Endocrinol. 2006;36(3):415-424.
- Evans KN, Nguyen L, Chan J, et al. Effects of 24-hydroxyvitamin D3 and 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3 on cytokine production by human decidual cells. Biol Reprod. 2006;75(6):816-822.