The Impact of Vitamin C on Endothelial Function
Safe, effective nutrient proves beneficial to patients with heart disease and diabetes
By Daniel Chong, ND
About the Author
Daniel Chong, ND, has been a licensed naturopathic physician, practicing in Portland, Oregon, since 2000 and focusing on risk assessment, prevention, and drug-free treatment strategies for cardiovascular disease and diabetes, as well as general healthy aging, and acute and chronic musculoskeletal injuries. Chong has also completed certificate training in cardio-metabolic medicine from the American Academy of Anti-Aging Medicine and is an active member of the Society for Heart Attack Prevention and Eradication (SHAPE). In addition to his clinical work, Chong serves as a clinical consultant for Boston Heart Diagnostics Lab.
Study Parameters Assessed
Aim of Review
The current study simply suggests that vitamin C should always be included in protocols for our patients with cardiovascular conditions.
- Flammer AJ, Anderson T, Celermajer DS, et al. The assessment of endothelial function from research into clinical practice. Circulation. 2012;126(6):753-767.
- Endemann DH, Schiffrin EL. Endothelial dysfunction. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2004;15(8):1983-1992.
- Brown AA, Hu FB. Dietary modulation of endothelial function: implications for cardiovascular disease. Am J Clin Nutr. 2001;73(4):673-686.
- Wiggers GA, Peçanha FM, Briones AM, et al. Low mercury concentrations cause oxidative stress and endothelial dysfunction in conductance and resistance arteries. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2008;295(3):H1033-H1043.
- Krishnan RM, Adar SD, Szpiro AA, et al. Vascular responses to long and short-term exposure to fine particulate matter: MESA Air (Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis and Air Pollution. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2012;60(21):2158-2166.
- Oshima T, Ozono R, Yano Y, et al. Association of Helicobacter pylori infection with systemic inflammation and endothelial dysfunction in healthy male subjects. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2005;45(8):1219-1222.
- Vogel RA, Corretti MC, Plotnick GD. Effect of a single high-fat meal on endothelial function in healthy subjects. Am J Cardiol. 1997;79(3):350-354.
- Rashid SK, Khodija NI, Auger C, et al. Probiotics (VSL#3) prevent endothelial dysfunction in rats with portal hypertension: role of the angiotensin system. PLoS One. 2014;9(5):e97458.
- Ghiadoni L, Donald AE, Cropley M, et al. Mental stress induces transient endothelial dysfunction in humans. Circulation. 2000;102(20):2473-2478.