Does Homeopathy Prevent Flu?
Perspective on a recent high-profile study
By Jacob Schor, ND, FABNO
About the Author
Jacob Schor ND, FABNO, is a graduate of National College of Naturopathic Medicine, Portland, Oregon, and now practices in Denver, Colorado. He served as president to the Colorado Association of Naturopathic Physicians and is on the board of directors of both the Oncology Association of Naturopathic Physicians and the American Association of Naturopathic Physicians. He is recognized as a fellow by the American Board of Naturopathic Oncology. He serves on the editorial board for the International Journal of Naturopathic Medicine, Naturopathic Doctor News and Review (NDNR), and Integrative Medicine: A Clinician's Journal. In 2008, he was awarded the Vis Award by the American Association of Naturopathic Physicians. His writing appears regularly in NDNR, the Townsend Letter, and Natural Medicine Journal, where he is the Abstracts & Commentary editor.
Study Medication and Dosage
- Reilly D, Taylor MA, Beattie NG, Campbell JH, McSharry C, Aitchison TC, Carter R, et al. Is evidence for homoeopathy reproducible? Lancet. 1994;344(8937):1601-1606.
- Taylor MA, Reilly D, Llewellyn-Jones RH, McSharry C, Aitchison TC. Randomised controlled trial of homoeopathy versus placebo in perennial allergic rhinitis with overview of four trial series. BMJ. 2000 Aug 19; 321(7259): 471–476.
- Costa RA. Nosodios Vivos. 1st edn. Rio de Janeiro: Farmacia Homeopatica Atomo Ltda., 2002.
- Siqueira CM, Costa B, Amorim AM, et al. H3N2 homeopathic influenza virus solution modifies cellular and biochemical aspects of MDCK and J774G8 cell lines. Homeopathy. 2013;102:31e40.
- Codeço CT, Cordeiro JD, Lima AW, et al. The epidemic wave of influenza A (H1N1) in Brazil. Cadernos de Saúde Pública. 2009;28(7):1325-1336.
- Kirkby R, Calabrese C, Kaltman L, Monnier J, Herscu P. Methodological considerations for future controlled influenza treatment trials in complementary and alternative medicine. J Altern Complement Med. 2010;16(3):275-283.
- Kirkby R, Herscu P. Homeopathic trial design in influenza treatment. Homeopathy. 2010;99(1):69-75.
- Oliveira CR, Costa GSR, Paploski IAD, et al. Influenza-like illness in an urban community of Salvador, Brazil: incidence, seasonality and risk factors. BMC Infectious Diseases. 2016;16:125.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Flu vaccine nearly 60 percent effective. http://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2016/flu-vaccine-60-percent.html. Accessed August 29, 2016.
- Domingues CM, de Oliveira WK; Brazilian andemic Influenza Vaccination Evaluation Team. Uptake of pandemic influenza (H1N1)-2009 vaccines in Brazil, 2010. Vaccine. 2012;30(32):4744-4751.
- Oliveira W, Carmo E, Penna G, et al. Pandemic H1N1 influenza in Brazil: analysis of the first 34,506 notified cases of influenza-like illness with severe acute respiratory infection (SARI). Euro Surveill. 2009;14(42).