Benefits of Elderberry for Symptoms of Common Cold in Air Travelers
A randomized, placebo-controlled trial
By Michael Traub, ND, DHANP, FABNO
About the Author
Michael Traub ND, DHANP, FABNO, has been practicing in Hawaii since 1985. He is past-president of the American Association of Naturopathic Physicians (AANP) and received the AANP’s Naturopathic Physician of the Year award in 2006. He is the author of Essentials of Dermatological Diagnosis and Integrative Therapeutics. His website is www.michaeltraubnd.com.
… we will need to wait for better high-quality, well-powered studies to find out whether these herbal extracts meet the standards of scientific proof for prophylaxis and treatment of respiratory illness associated with air travel.
Study Parameters Assessed
Primary Outcome Measures
- Roschek B, Fink RC, McMichael MD, Li D, Alberte RS. Elderberry flavonoids bind to and prevent H1N1 infection in vitro. Phytochemistry. 2009;70:1255-1261.
- Zakay-Rones Z, Varsano N, Zlotnik M, et al. Inhibition of several strains of influenza virus in vitro and reduction of symptoms by an elderberry extract (Sambucus nigra L.) during an outbreak of influenza B Panama. J Altern Complement Med. 1995;1(4):361-369.
- Barak V, Halperin T, Kalickman I. The effect of Sambucol, a black elderberry-based, natural product, on the production of human cytokines: I. Inflammatory cytokines. Eur Cytokine Netw. 2001;12(2):290-296.
- Frank T, Janssen M, Netzet G, Christian B, Bitsch I, Netzel M. Absorption and excretion of elderberry (Sambucus nigra L.) anthocyanins in healthy humans. Methods Find Exp Clin Pharmacol. 2007;29(8):525-533.
- Tiralongo E, Lea RA, Wee SS, Hanna MM, Griffiths LR. Randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of echinacea supplementation in air travelers. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2012;2012:417267.