For Immediate Release
October 17, 2017
Washington, DC – For patients with breast cancer, naturopathic medicine can help optimize tolerance to conventional medical treatments and also provide strategies to reinforce the body’s natural defenses and recovery systems. This is according to the American Association of Naturopathic Physicians (AANP), which today released a new FAQ with advice for consumers on how naturopathic medicine can support breast cancer treatment and prevention, in partnership with the Institute for Natural Medicine (INM).
While conventional medical treatments such as surgery, radiation therapy, chemotherapy, and pharmaceutical drug therapy are often essential components of breast cancer treatment, they can cause significant side effects and increase the risk of other health conditions. Naturopathic doctors and naturopathic oncologists help to:
- Boost and sustain the immune system and minimize inflammation after biopsy, lumpectomy, or mastectomy surgery with the goal of shortening recovery times
- Safely reduce side effects of radiotherapy, chemotherapy, and pharmaceutical drug therapies, as well as provide natural synergists to these conventional treatments to enhance their efficacy
- Support the patient through mental and emotional stresses that any cancer diagnosis and treatment brings
- Emphasize prevention measures in healthy patients motivated to reduce their cancer risk
- Develop post-treatment recommendations to reduce the risk of recurrence
“Naturopathic doctors aid and collaborate closely with conventional oncology treatment teams,” said Michelle Simon, PhD, ND and Chair of the INM Board of Directors. “They can also help individuals at risk implement strategies that can reduce their chances of developing breast cancer, including modifications to diet, nutrition, sleep, and exercise, as well as stress reduction,” added Leonard A. Wisneski, MD, FACP and Chair of the INM MD-DO Advisory Board.
The complete FAQ can be found here.
About the Institute for Natural Medicine
The Institute for Natural Medicine (INM) is a national not-for-profit 501(c)(3) organization that provides public education about naturopathic medicine and increases consumer access to naturopathic doctors. As a close partner to the American Association of Naturopathic Physicians, the INM strives to increase consumer and physician choice in safe, effective healthcare that improves patient outcomes and lowers costs. For more information visit www.naturemed.org or call 855-799-4490.
About the AANP
The American Association of Naturopathic Physicians is the professional association that represents licensed naturopathic physicians. The AANP strives to make naturopathic medicine available to every American, and to increase recognition of naturopathic physicians as the identified authorities on natural medicine. Learn more at www.naturopathic.org.