Age, BMI, and menopause were associated with significant decreases in sound transmission, but beer intake was associated with a significant increase in speed of sound transmission, suggesting an association with increased bone density.
1. Tucker KL, Jugdaohsingh R, Powell JJ, et al. Effects of beer, wine, and liquor intakes on bone mineral density in older men and women. Am J Clin Nutr. 2009;89(4):1188-1196.
2. Mukamal KJ, Robbins JA, Cauley JA, Kern LM, Siscovick DS. Alcohol consumption, bone density, and hip fracture among older adults: the cardiovascular health study. Osteoporos Int. 2007;18(5):593-602.
3. Jugdaohsingh R, O’Connell MA, Sripanyakorn S, Powell JJ. Moderate alcohol consumption and increased bone mineral density: potential ethanol and non-ethanol mechanisms. Proc Nutr Soc. 2006;65(3):291-310.
4. Spector TD, Calomme MR, Anderson SH, et al. Choline-stabilized orthosilicic acid supplementation as an adjunct to calcium/vitamin D3 stimulates markers of bone formation in osteopenic females: a randomized, placebo-controlled trial. BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2008;9:85.
5. Sripanyakorn S, Jugdaohsingh R, Dissayabutr W, Anderson SH, Thompson RP, Powell JJ. The comparative absorption of silicon from different foods and food supplements. Br J Nutr. 2009;102(6):825-834.
6. Casey TR, Bamforth CW. Silicon in beer and brewing. J Sci Food Agric. 2010;90(5):784-788
7. Bowe J, Li XF, Kinsey-Jones J, et al. The hop phytoestrogen, 8-prenylnaringenin, reverses the ovariectomy-induced rise in skin temperature in an animal model of menopausal hot flushes. J Endocrinol. 2006;191(2):399-405.
8. Heyerick A, Vervarcke S, Depypere H, Bracke M, De Keukeleire D. A first prospective, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study on the use of a standardized hop extract to alleviate menopausal discomforts. Maturitas. 2006;54(2):164-175.
9. Monteiro R, Becker H, Azevedo I, Calhau C. Effect of hop (Humulus lupulus L.) flavonoids on aromatase (estrogen synthase) activity. J Agric Food Chem. 2006;54(8):2938-2943.
10. Monteiro R, Faria A, Azevedo I, Calhau C. Modulation of breast cancer cell survival by aromatase inhibiting hop (Humulus lupulus L.) flavonoids. J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol. 2007;105(1-5):124-130.
11. Li Y, Baer D, Friedman GD, Udaltsova N, Shim V, Klatsky AL. Wine, liquor, beer and risk of breast cancer in a large population. Eur J Cancer. 2009;45(5):843-850.
Copyright © 2010 by the Natural Medicine Journal All rights reserved. No part of this article may be reproduced in any form without the written permission of the publisher.