Study Medication and Dosage
This study adds additional support to the idea that supplementation with Lactobacilli bacteria can improve immune function and protect individuals against respiratory and intestinal infection.
1. Pyne DB, Gleeson M. Effects of intensive exercise training on immunity in athletes. Int J Sports Med. 1998;19(Suppl 3):S183-191.
2. Gleeson M. Mucosal immunity and respiratory illness in elite athletes. Int J Sports Med. 2000;21(Suppl 1):S33-43.
3. Mackinnon LT. Chronic exercise training effects on immune function. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2000;32(7 Suppl):S369-376.
4. Cox AJ, Pyne DB, Saunders PU, Callister R, Gleeson M. Cytokine responses to treadmill running in healthy and illness-prone athletes. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2007;39(11):1918-1926.
5. Gleeson M. Mucosal immune responses and risk of respiratory illness in elite athletes. Exerc Immunol Rev. 2000;6:5-42.
6. de Vrese M, Schrezenmeir J. Probiotics, prebiotics, and synbiotics. Adv Biochem Eng Biotechnol. 2008;111:1-66.
7. de Vrese M, Winkler P, Rautenberg P, et al. Effect of Lactobacillus gasseri PA 16/8, Bifidobacterium longum SP 07/3, B. bifidum MF 20/5 on common cold episodes: a double blind, randomized, controlled trial. Clin Nutr. 2005;24(4):481-491.
8. Sazawal S, Hiremath G, Dhingra U, Malik P, Deb S, Black RE. Efficacy of probiotics in prevention of acute diarrhoea: a meta-analysis of masked, randomised, placebo-controlled trials. Lancet Infect Dis. 2006;6(6):374-382.
9. Guillemard E, Tondu F, Lacoin F, Schrezenmeir J. Consumption of a fermented dairy product containing the probiotic Lactobacillus casei DN-114001 reduces the duration of respiratory infections in the elderly in a randomised controlled trial. Br J Nutr. 2010;103(1):58-68.
10. Kekkonen RA, Vasankari TJ, Vuorimaa T, Haahtela T, Julkunen I, Korpela R. The effect of probiotics on respiratory infections and gastrointestinal symptoms during training in marathon runners. Int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab. 2007;17(4):352-363.
11. Cox AJ, Pyne DB, Saunders PU, Fricker PA. Oral administration of the probiotic Lactobacillus fermentum VRI-003 and mucosal immunity in endurance athletes. Br J Sports Med. 2010;44(4):222-226.
12. Gleeson M, Bishop NC, Oliveira M, Tauler P. Daily probiotic's (Lactobacillus casei Shirota) reduction of infection incidence in athletes. Int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab. 2011;21:55-64.
13. Tiollier E, Chennaoui M, Gomez-Merino D, Drogou C, Filaire E, Guezennec CY. Effect of a probiotics supplementation on respiratory infections and immune and hormonal parameters during intense military training. Mil Med. 2007;172(9):1006-1011.