The current study adds to the growing body of research that dietary polyphenols may exert some of their positive effects through interaction with the gut microbiota such as through prebiotic effects and the production of bioactive metabolites.
1. Guildfor JM, Pezzuto JM. Wine and health: a review. Am J Enol Vitic. 2011:62(4);471-486.
2. Rinttilä T, Lyra A, Krogius-Kurikka L, Palva A. Real-time PCR analysis of enteric pathogens from fecal samples of irritable bowel syndrome subjects. Gut Pathog. 2011:3(1);6.
3. Ananthakrishnan AN, Issa M, Binion DG. Clostridium difficile and inflammatory bowel disease. Gastroenterol Clin North Am. 2009:39(4);711-725.
4. Lindström M, Heikinheimo A, Lahti P, Korkeala H. Novel insights into the epidemiology of Clostridium perfringens type A food poisoning. Food Microbiol. 2011:28(2);192-198.
5. Huang H, WeintraubA , Fang H, Nord CE. Antimicrobial resistance in Clostridium difficile. Int J Antimicro Ag. 2009:34(6);516-522.
6. Picard C, Fioramonti J, Francois A, Robinson T, Neant F, Matuchansky C. Review article: bifidobacteria as probiotic agents—physiological effects and clinical benefits. Alimentary Pharmacol Therap. 2005:(22)6;495-512.
7. Servin AL. Antagonistic activities of lactobacilli and bifidobacteria against microbial pathogens. FEMS Microbiol Rev. 2004:4;405-440.
8. Figueroa-González I, Cruz-Guerrero A, Quijano G. The benefits of probiotics on human health. J Microbial Biochem Technol. 2011:S1:003; doi:10.4172/1948-5948.
9. Bode C. Effect of alcohol consumption on the gut. Best Pract Res Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2003:17(4);575-592.
10. Ridker PM. High-sensitivity C-reactive protein, inflammation, and cardiovascular risk: from concept to clinical practice to clinical benefit. Am Heart J. 2004:148;S19-26.
11. Deveraj S, Siegel D, Jialal I. Statin therapy in metabolic syndrome and hypertension post-JUPITER: what is the value of CRP? Curr Atheroscler Rep. 2011:13(1);31-42.
12. Kones R. Rosuvastatin, inflammation, C-reactive protein, JUPITER, and primary prevention of cardiovascular disease—a perspective. Drug Des Devel Ther. 2010:4;383-413.