In this study of cross-sectional data from Italy, researchers discovered a direct correlation between levels of particulate matter in the air and the increase in hospitalizations for diabetic patients over the age of 45. Read full article …
(Click image to read full article.)
Thanks to our Special Issue Sponsors
- Emerson Ecologics
- Integrative Therapeutics
- Jovial Foods
- PERQUE Integrative Health
- Setria Glutathione
Increasing evidence shows that overexposure to environmental toxins from all sources can negatively impact human metabolic pathways.
- Krämer U, Herder C, Sugiri D, et al. Traffic-related air pollution and incident type 2 diabetes: results from the SALIA cohort study. Environ Health Perspect. 2010;118(9):1273-1279.
- Chen H, Burnett RT, Kwong JC, et al. Risk of incident diabetes in relation to long-term exposure to fine particulate matter in Ontario, Canada. Environ Health Perspect. 2013;121(7):804-810.
- Coogan PF, White LF, Jerrett M, et al. Air pollution and incidence of hypertension and diabetes mellitus in black women living in Los Angeles. Circulation. 2012;125(6):767-772.
- Puett RC, Hart JE, Schwartz J, Hu FB, Liese AD, Laden F. Are particulate matter exposures associated with risk of type 2 diabetes? Environ Health Perspect. 2011;119(3):384-389.
- Andersen ZJ, Raaschou-Nielsen O, Ketzel M, et al. Diabetes incidence and long-term exposure to air pollution: a cohort study. Diabetes Care. 2012;35(1):92-98.
- Pearson JF, Bachireddy C, Shyamprasad S, Goldfine AB, Brownstein JS. Association between fine particulate matter and diabetes prevalence in the U.S. Diabetes Care. 2010;33(10):2196-2201.
- Xu X, Liu C, Xu Z, et al. Long-term exposure to ambient fine particulate pollution induces insulin resistance and mitochondrial alteration in adipose tissue. Toxicol Sci. 2011;124(1):88-98.
- Sun Q, Yue P, Deiuliis JA, et al. Ambient air pollution exaggerates adipose inflammation and insulin resistance in a mouse model of diet-induced obesity. Circulation. 2009;119(4):538-546.
- Rajagopalan S, Brook RD. Air pollution and type 2 diabetes: mechanistic insights. Diabetes. 2012;61(12):3037-3045.
- Hyman M. Systems biology, toxins, obesity, and functional medicine. Altern Ther Health Med. 2007;13(2):S134-S139.
- Chen R, Zhao A, Chen H, et al. Cardiopulmonary benefits of reducing indoor particles of outdoor origin: a randomized, double-blind crossover trial of air purifiers. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2015;65(21):2279-2287.
- Weichenthal S, Mallach G, Kulka R, et al. A randomized double-blind crossover study of indoor air filtration and acute changes in cardiorespiratory health in a First Nations community. Indoor Air. 2013;23(3):175-184.